Hello! Welcome to Day 1 of Blogtober 2022. Once again, I’m going to give it a go but no promises about how long I’ll last! I’m starting off loosely using the suggested prompts in the Blogtober Facebook Group. Day 1 was meant to be “10 Things you Don’t Know About Me”. I’m making it easier (and quicker!) for myself by changing it to a quick random ten things about me post, so read on to find out more:
Ten Things About Me
- My name is Claire! My first name was partly inspired by Gilbert O’Sullivan;s 1972 single, Clair. Listen to it below if you like. My lovely Mum and sisters occasionally still burst out singing it to me to this day. My middle name is Elizabeth because I was born on the late Queen Mother’s 80th birthday. I wrote to tell the Queen Mother this important fact and received a lovely reply.
2. I’m quite an extrovert and am happy to be alone. From a young age, I was a loner, preferring to read and write than be around lots of people. When I’m with people, I am happy too of course but I find it very tiring so I do look forward to those rare quiet times alone when I can finally relax too! I’m sure I’ll find it strange when the kids are older and I do have more time alone, it will be interesting to see what I say then!
3. I love elephants. They are such clever and special creatures. I used to have a huge collection of cuddly and ornamental elephants. Now, although I don’t add to my collection anymore, I still often think about them, they’re always in my heart. I really hope I get the chance to volunteer at an elephant sanctuary when the kids are older. That will be a dream come true.
4. I’m definitely more of a night owl than an early bird. But of course, real life means I have to get up early so I just survive on very little sleep. I am trying to work on going to bed before midnight (she says as she writes this at gone midnight…) but I’m not doing very well!
5. I have four children from ages 10 to 19. People warn you when you have a baby that it will go quickly but I look back now and can’t believe how fast those baby and early years went. I love these tweens, tweens and young adults to bits and I’m looking forward to the future with them but I think there will always be a part of me looking back wistfully (with rose-tinted glasses?) on those early years together.
6. I think the first my younger sister knew about Dave and me getting together was when a boy in her school told her; “I saw your sister kissing a boy with long hair in the alley last night!” Haha! It could have been worse! That also sums up where I live nicely- everyone knows your own business before you know yourself. Over 22 years later and I’m happy to say I’m still with that lovely boy with long hair, but we definitely don’t kiss in alleys enough at the moment!
7. Talking of which, I love where I live -Pembrokeshire, and I’m proud to come from Wales. But, I’d feel proud of wherever I came from. When I lived in Manchester as a student, I loved it there too. There are good and bad parts to most places and I just choose to look for and make the most of the good.
8. My lovely Dad died when he was 49 and so that number is often on my mind. It seems to come up in my life every day, of course, I know it’s just because I notice it because it’s a significant number to us. I found it very strange to see Dave turning 49 this year and I know it will be even stranger when my older sister, and then myself and younger sister reach this milestone too. As I get older, I realise just how young he was to die then and I’m very aware that growing older is a privilege.
9. I am very shortsighted. I started wearing glasses at the age of 9, in junior school. It’s funny, I didn’t realise that I needed glasses but I was very excited when I was told that I needed them. When I wore them to school for the first time I was shocked to be able to read the writing on the board and to read the song words on the overhead projector. I’d always wondered how everyone else could read the words! Oops! Nowadays, I wear contact lenses but still think of myself as a glasses wearer as it was such a long part of my life (and I’m sure will be again when I’m older). My three daughters all wear glasses and when I join in moaning about glasses steaming up etc, they shout at me “But you don’t wear glasses, Mum!” Sorry, girls!
10. I love to be on the beach or in the woods. When the kids were younger we’d always do both daily. Now with school, work and clubs we often don’t have (or make!) time during the week and by the weekend I’m desperately needing to be in my happy place to clear my mind. I really need to try and make the time…
Now tell me something about you! Are you joining in with Blogtober 2022? Let me know in the comments!