Micro coil winding is known as the operation of fabricating micro electromagnetic coils via wrapping an electrical conductor — like wire, forming into coil, spiral, or helix.A micro coil’s shape and size are intended to serve a specific function — depending upon such characteristics like the inductance, resistance, and the intensity of an ideal magnetic field.
Process of micro coil winding
Winding the micro coil is an extremely delicate operation since it requires the use of narrow wires. Hence, preventing interference amongst them is critical. The primary goal is to generate electromagnetic fields when the current flows through the electrical lines.
The wires are coiled in various forms based on the application, which determines the electromagnetic field generated within micro coil devices.Note that the winding’s shape is determined by three critical factors which are: the resistance of microscopic coil wires, the amount of the magnetic field created and the coil’s inductance.
Because of the sensitivity and diminutiveness of the material getting managed — micro coil winding is therefore a fully autonomous operation.Automation enhances productivity while decreasing the likelihood of error, saving money on labour. Also, the winding differs depending on the form of the micro coil devices, hence the requirements of the machinery differ too. To ensure the winding operation goes further seamlessly — micro coil winding comes with its distinct collection of issues that must be overcome.
Applications of micro coil winding in medical industry
- DRUG DELIVERY — Micro coils can somehow be applied in drug delivery systems for channelling medications towards certain inaccessible parts of the body- like the brain and tumours.
- MAGNETIC RESONANCE IMAGING — Micro coils were utilized as radio frequency coils used in MRI equipment to send and receive signals from the human body, providing for comprehensive imaging of interior organs and structures.
- BIOSENSORS — Micro coils can be used in biosensors to identify molecules or substances within the body, like those of glucose levels in diabetics.
- HYPERTHERMIA — In hyperthermia systems, microscopic coils are utilized to produce heat within the body, which threatens cancer cells.
- IMPLANTABLE MEDICAL DEVICE — Micro coils are employed to send and receive signals in pacemakers, cochlear implants, and other implanted medical devices.
Future prospects of micro coil winding
Micro coil winding has grown in prominence as the need for micro gadgets has increased. Particularly, the diagnostic imaging sector, which encompasses coiled medical devices, is likely to expand even more — thereby making it a potential field for the development of micro coil winding.
There have been many scientific developments in the sector of micro coil winding as the modernization is approaching. Among the most major innovations that have occurred include the adoption of computer-controlled winding machinery — that has substantially increased the process’ precision and effectiveness.Furthermore, innovative materials like high-temperature superconductors and nano-materials are now being utilized to produce further compact and even better coil efficiency.
Each of these breakthroughs helps to expand the scope of what is achievable with micro coil winding — making it an intriguing sector with nothing but a great deal of future potential growth.