Now that climate change is a bigger issue than ever before, many people are left with the same question; how can I live more sustainably? People increasingly feel the need to contribute. That’s why we are going to look at the best ways to live more sustainably. This will give you will a number of options to make serious strides in the short term. A quick way to significantly reduce your carbon footprint.
Options for more sustainable living
Today, the options are relatively diverse. Since there has been a lot of attention to this problem for a while now, there has been a lot of innovation. Thus, you don’t have to put in much effort to take serious steps forward. Think of options like:
- Installing a heat pump: Installing a heat pump is an excellent way to live more sustainably. These devices aren’t necessarily all that expensive these days. On top of that, it’s a serious money saver. In fact, a heat pump produces about 3 to 5 times more energy than it consumes. Thus, all in all, you consume much less energy than with a conventional system. This will already reduce your energy bill in the short term.
- Installing solar panels: Next is the option of installing solar panels. This is the preferred choice for many people. More and more solar panels are appearing on rooftops. This is largely due to developments in the field of solar panels. They’ve gotten a whole lot better in recent years. For example, they provide better yield, last longer and cost less money. This makes it an increasingly obvious choice. The same applies to the corresponding inverter. A Growatt inverter or Huawei inverter gives you basically all you need.
- Electric driving: What is true for solar panels is also true for electric driving. More and more electric cars are appearing on public roads. This trend is expected to continue for some time. This has everything to do with the advances in these vehicles. Electric cars are also getting a bit more affordable every year. In addition, the range per full battery is increasing and it is increasingly affordable to install an EV-charger at home. So all in all, it is simply increasingly attractive to opt for electric driving. A choice that a growing number of people are happy to make.
- Turning down the thermostat: Permanently turning the thermostat down a degree will result in significant energy savings. This is a fairly easy way to contribute to a greener world. When the temperature is a degree lower, you soon get used to this. Moreover, it is quite possible to dress accordingly. Putting on a slightly thicker sweater or blouse doesn’t cost any additional energy. Try it out and temporarily turn your thermostat down a degree. You’ll soon see the difference on your energy bill.
- Taking shorter showers: Another small way to combat climate change is to take shorter showers. Per 5-minute shower session, you end up using about 50 litres of hot water. This requires a lot of energy consumption. Do you usually shower for quite a long time? Then cutting your shower time in half is an excellent tactic to achieve your goal. For example, by shortening your shower time from 10 to 5 minutes, you already save heating 50 litres of water. A significant contribution to a greener world.
- Eating less meat: Did you know that the production of meat consumes an enormous amount of energy? The entire meat production process is responsible for as much as 40 percent of all greenhouse gas emissions. To produce 1 kilogramme of meat, as much as 5 litres of plant feed is needed. So the best way for you to have a positive impact may be to eat significantly less meat. Many people choose to eat vegetarian one or more days a week. And to minimise meat on bread, for example. Every little bit helps when it comes to such a big culprit.
- Buying sustainable products: Lastly, buying sustainable products is always an option. Today, many products have a specific label. For instance, clothing may be made from sustainable materials. Other items also consist of recycled materials or were produced in a climate-conscious manner. In some cases, you will pay a little extra for this. But you are making the world just a little bit greener.
These are all good separate measures to take. Of course, the greatest effect is achieved by combining several options, which is quite possible these days. See where you yourself are able and willing to make the biggest gains. This will be slightly different for each person.