Pastoral care is the provision a school makes to monitor the physical and emotional wellbeing of their students, and ensure they are able to reach their full potential academically. When pastoral care is successful, children feel happy, safe, part of a community, and able to perform well. Read on for further information regarding pastoral care from a sixth form in Surrey.
How Does Pastoral Care Help Children?
Pastoral care can have a profound impact on the pupils of a school. In fact, it can be the difference between them even attending or not. If a child doesn’t feel safe or happy at school for one reason or another, their attendance and overall performance will likely suffer.
Of course, all children will face obstacles at some point, whether it’s a fallout with their friends or a subject they’re struggling with, but pastoral carers should be able to offer the right support to help them overcome these challenges so that they don’t get in the way of their overall success or happiness.
Pastoral care is particularly crucial in boarding schools where children require additional support that they are not able to receive from their parents while they’re away. It’s also great for helping them prepare for their future, in terms of developing the right personal skills to succeed in life.
How is Pastoral Care Implemented?
All schools will have different ways of implementing their pastoral care based on their ethos and culture. However, here are some of the practical ways in which it is usually applied:
- Monitoring students’ academic progress
- Maintaining open communication with parents to remain up to date with any changes in a child’s home life
- Providing counselling and support for those who are struggling in any way
- Ensuring the school is safe and secure by maintaining all facilities
- Assisting students with any health problems
- Promoting a sense of community spirit to enhance students’ relationships with their peers and teachers
If you require any more information about the pastoral care provisions in your child’s school, don’t hesitate to contact their teachers and ask any questions you might have.