When I first began making vegan pancakes I thought I needed something to replace the egg. I tried various egg replacements from chia seeds to bananas and all worked well. Each time the vegan recipes made delicious pancakes that even the omni-kids in our house were happy to eat (result!). But regular readers know that I like to simplify everyday recipes as much as I can so recipes and methods can easily be committed to memory and passed down and remade through the generations. In cutting down our number of ingredients I discovered the truth about vegan pancakes- no egg replacement is needed. Of course, traditionally pancakes were made on Shrove Tuesday to use up the eggs, milk and fat which would be “given up” during Lent along with meat and fish, whereas in modern times folk often go out and buy special ingredients for “Pancake Day” instead of “using up”. With this simple vegan pancake recipe all you need is two ingredients plus fat or oil to fry your pancakes but you can go all out on the toppings if you want to! Read on for the two ingredient recipe:
Simple British Style Vegan Pancakes
Ingredients (makes 6 medium flat pancakes)
1 cup plain flour
1 1/2 cup milk of choice (we used almond milk)
Cooking Fat (we used coconut oil)
Vanilla essence for flavouring
1. Heat a little coconut oil in frying pan.
2. Add 1 cup flour and 1 1/2 cups vegan milk to blender.
3. Blend until fully mixed.
4. Add 1 ladle of pancake mixture to the frying pan, spread around the pan.
5. When the middle of the pancake bubbles flip the pancake (or turn with a spatula).
6. Cook until both sides are lightly browned.
7. Move cooked pancake onto plate. Season with sugar and lemon.
8. Add more oil if needed to pan and keep on cooking pancakes.
Repeat until all the mixture is cooked and if guests want seconds make another batch!
I love traditional sugar and lemon pancakes but here are five vegan substitute toppings in case you’re looking for alternatives:
1. Choc Shot (in place of chocolate sauce)
2. Nature’s Store Hazelnut and Chocolate Spread (in place of Nutella)
3. Schlagfix Schlagcreme Spray Vegan Cream (in place of dairy/artificial spray cream)
4. Alpro Plant Based Yogurt (in place of dairy yogurt)
5. Swedish Glace Vanilla Non Dairy Frozen Dessert instead of dairy Ice-cream
What are your tips for making pancakes? What are your favourite toppings?