, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island


, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



We then went to Priory Pond which is now home to two black swans, usually native to Australia.


, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



They are very distinctive looking with their black feathers and bright red bills.


, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



From here we had a great view of the Lighthouse, although we didn’t have time to walk there on this occasion.



, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



Caldey Island even has a Chocolate Factory.


, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



The chocolate making room is where the Abbots Kitchen Chocolate bars are hand-made using the finest couverture (chocolate made with extra cocoa butter to give it a high gloss).


, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



We bought a few bars of plain chocolate.  The chocolate is also available in the Gift Shop.



, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



We then explored the Old Priory.  The Old Priory and St Illtyd’s Church, with its leaning spire, are among the oldest and most interesting buildings on Caldey.


, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



The Priory was home to the Benedictine Monks who lived on the island during 
 Medieval times.  These buildings have been unoccupied since the dissolution of the Monasteries (between 1536-1541) but St Illtyd’s Church is still a consecrated Roman Catholic Church.


, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



We lit a candle in memory of loved ones and popped our donation into the candle payment box.


, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



We then had a look around the Church.


, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



There is a table to write and leave prayer requests, messages or words of encouragement.


, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island





, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



After exploring the Old Priory, we returned back to the village via the Nature Walk,


, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island




We had a little bit of time in the village before heading back to catch our boat.

, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



There is a Perfume Shop where you can try and buy perfume made by the Monks of Caldey.


, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



The Gift Shop offers a wide range of gifts and souvenirs.  


, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



This shrine is in-scripted with the following:



Ave Maria Gratia Plena


Hail Mary, Full of Grace


Walsingham 1948


I wondered why Walsingham was mentioned so did a bit of research (okay, Googling!) and found this out:  Since 1061 when Richeldis, a devout noble English noblewoman, had a vision of the Virgin Mary, Walsingham has been venerated as one of the holiest places in England, and countless people have visited the village to ask Mary to pray to Jesus on their behalf.During the war years, Walsingham was a restricted zone closed to visitors, but many service men and women showed interest in the shrine. On May 17th 1945, the American Forces organised the first Mass in the Priory grounds since the Reformation. The first Student Cross pilgrimage and the great Cross Carrying Pilgrimage for Penance and Prayer in 1948 began traditions that continue today. Each year Student Cross still walk to the shrine during Holy Week carrying wooden crosses.


, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island

As we had to travel back to school it was already time for us to catch the boat back to Tenby.  We didn’t have time to visit the Lighthouse, Herb Garden, St David’s Church and Graveyard or the old School House.  I can’t wait to visit again during the Summer Holidays.


While waiting for the boat we spotted more jellyfish.


, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island

The boat ride home was once again calm with beautiful blue skies.


, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island

We had great views of the colourful shoreline of Tenby.


, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island

, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island

As we came to land we had a great view of St Catherine’s Island again.  We looked out for birds nesting in the rocks.


, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island

, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island

, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island

Back on dry land, we made our way back to the bus.  On the way we passed the old stables.


, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island

We spotted some of Tenby’s infamous black “hanging toilets“.


, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island



We passed the Lifeboat Station.

, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island


We said goodbye to the colourful houses of Tenby and made our way home.  A good, enjoyable and informative time was had by all.


Have you visited Caldey Island before?











, The John Muir Award- Our Visit to Caldey Island

Tweet
Pin
Share
0 Shares

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *