We finally got around to seeing Paddington- the movie this weekend. While the film has made changes such as setting the story in a different era to the Paddington from my childhood, I did enjoy watching it with the kids.
We had been warned from friends that the beginning of the story was quite sad and dark. Luckily, my kids coped well and we were soon whisked to the bright, warm home of the Brown family and felt comfortable and cosy again.
I love the Brown house and really wish I could live there.
Seeing as that isn’t possible, I’ve instead looked at ways to get a little bit of the Brown colourful look into my home:
- Cherry Blossom Branch Wall Stickers by Kokokids give a warm welcome in the hallway.
- Vintage 1950’s Kitchen Cabinets give a bright look in the kitchen. The one featured above in my collage was sold by my local vintage furniture shop Connie & Jo and Tigerlillyquinn was lucky enough to find a gorgeous retro cabinet on ebay which gives me kitchen envy. Alternatively, you could paint your existing cabinets. Mine are currently painted blue, but I would love to repaint them in Annie Sloane’s Provence chalk paint.
- The Brown’s are lucky enough to have the high ceilings and free space to house a full size carousel horse. You can buy your own replica horse from UK Gallopers. Alternatives are a traditional rocking horse or if you’re short of space, like me, then get your kitsch fairground fix with a Unicorn Carousel Print or ornament.
- I also love the photo walls throughout the home and the picture wall in Judy’s bedroom.
- The Brown’s were lucky enough to have the real Paddington bear living in their house and we love having Paddington around our house too. When I visit London I bring Paddington gifts back for the children. We love our cuddly Paddington bears and suitcase full of books. Collectable Paddingtons can be bought from The Paddington Collective. It looks like the Steiff Paddington Bear fully sold out. Paddington Style suitcases make great storage too.
- I love my Paddington Bear money box that I had when I signed up to the Cheltenham & Gloucester Young Savers account. It holds a lot of family memories for us as my mum worked there while we grew up too. You can still buy these on Ebay.
- Paddington Bear Postcard Prints look sweet in a bedroom or nursery.
- For true Paddington style, don’t forget to keep some jars of homemade marmalade in the kitchen too!
Have you seen the film? Which film house do you wish you could live in?