With Christmas fast approaching I dread going to the shops as they are so busy. Here are ten reasons why I prefer play shopping with the kids to real life shopping:
1. No need to drive around (and around) an already over full car park looking for a space.
2. You can shop from the comfort of your own home. You can even wear your pyjamas without getting funny looks or being banned from your local shop- again!
3. You don't have to queue!
4. The play shopkeeper is friendly, happy and actually grateful that you have come to buy something from their shop. They don't ever want their time as shopkeeper to end unlike the poor real shopkeepers who I suspect can't wait to get home some days (not that I blame them).
5. You can buy absolutely anything. Can't see the item you want on display? Ask for it and the enthusiastic shopkeeper will willingly oblige (ok, it may not look even remotely like the item you asked for and may even be invisible to your mortal eye but the shopkeeper says that's what it is, so indeed that's what it is!).
6. Most things in the shop are priced in pennies so you can really save a fortune!
7. You can buy as much as you like on the plastic credit card but never receive a dreaded credit card bill.
8. Sometimes you even make money as the shopkeeper gives you more change than you paid in the first place. Even when you insist you pay it back they just won't accept it.
9. You can still buy stamps. They even come individually and don't cost a King (or Queen)'s Ransom!
10. You get to spend fun, quality time bonding with your child and that for me, is priceless.
Disney Princess Royal Boutique Cash Register
As you can see we have been lucky enough to be playing shop lots at home again recently as Isabelle has been reviewing the Disney Princess Royal Boutique Cash Register.
It is quick and easy to take out of the packaging so a good choice for Christmas Day.
It's easy to set up. Just take the tape of the back and press the "On" button. It requires 3 AAA batteries which are included.
It comes with all the accessories you need, play money (in dollars), a key, bar codes and stamps.
It has a scanner, which beeps as you scan each item of shopping.
There is a real functioning cash register with calculator. As you press each number button, the number is spoken, so it's great educationally for visual and audio number recognition.
Every button makes a satisfying sound and there are even pre recorded phrases, such as "Next customer please". It also has a working credit card swipe machine with sound effect too.
There is a spare key underneath the till.
The cash register drawer opens when you press "Total" for you to take money and give change.
I believe in the importance of role play for children so a cash register is a great toy to have. This item doesn't come with a shopping basket or any shopping items. You can pick these up readily, but kids enjoy playing shop with real tins and fruit or other household items too. You can cut card up or use white label stickers and price items up together- this is great for practising writing numbers and money signs.
This till looks great too and is very compact so will store away easily even with all the working features.
Do you prefer play shopping or real life shopping?
We were sent this item for review purposes. All views and opinions are our own.